OMG... There's 2!!!

The 8 Week Ultrasound Photo

So, as many of you know, we needed as little help trying to conceive. Luckily, we didn't need IVF but we did need to use Clomid. 
 
On the first month of taking it, it didn't work (much to our disappointment), but we knew we had to continue and not give up. On the 2nd month of taking it, it worked! For those of you that are currently taking Clomid or those that may need to take it in the future, I took it on cycle days 5 - 9 when it was successful. The pervious month I took it on cycle days 3 - 7. Taking Clomid isn't without its risks; I'm not a medical expert so I wont go through them all but one I was made aware of was the higher risk of an ectopic pregnancy.
 
The Positive Test
 
On the 11th December 2014, we finally got the positive pregnancy test and we were overjoyed. Nathan couldn't believe it and to be honest - nor did I! After so many months of having negative pregnancy tests and the heartbreak of friends announcing their pregnancies, it was finally my time!
 
I cant remember exactly when it was but I think I was about 5 and a half weeks when I started getting a few pains in my stomach and my mind automatically thought the worst. Straight away I looked online at getting an early scan just to make sure everything was ok. We booked an appointment for 10am on the 10th January 2015 at a local place and the countdown was on!
 
We told my mum and step dad about the baby and when our private scan was and they were so excited for us and also to become grandparents for the first time!
 
On the morning of the scan, I was so excited to see my baby for the first time, I was ready about 3 hours before our appointment! Nathan and I went and had breakfast and then headed over to the clinic a little bit early. As we had the first appointment of the day and were there a while before our appointment time, they started scanning us a bit early (at something like 9.45am).
 
As soon as she put the transducer on my belly, I saw 2 sacs with 2 small beans inside. I shouted 'OMG, there's 2! It's twins!!'. Nath just looked at me and said 'Oh no there's not - let the lady get on with her job!'. The sonographer looked at us both and smiled and I just knew I was right! All I can remember her say was 'Congratulations Mummy, there are 2!'. I burst into tears and I don't think I stopped crying for 3 days afterwards!
 
Now, don't get me wrong, I was happy; over the moon in fact! I was just sooo shocked and scared! We both knew the risk of having a multiple pregnancy but just never thought it would be us!
 
At 10am (when our appointment was meant to start), I was ringing my mum to tell her the news. Because I was crying, she automatically said 'Oh Alice, I am so sorry'. All I could say was 'everything's fine but there's 2... It's twins!' I was crying down one end of the phone in disbelief and shock and my mum was crying down the other in excitement!
 
We have finally got our head around the fact we are expecting twins - now its just getting our heads round bringing them up and dealing with 2 newborns at the same time!
 
Feel free to email me on aliceandthetwins@outlook.com if you have any questions at all about our journey in falling pregnant!
 
Thank you all for reading and sorry this one has been a long one!
 
xox
 

Comments

Popular Posts